New Year, New Blog

4 01 2010

After three and a half wonderful years of blogging at Edublogs, I’ve finally decided to take the plunge and manage my own WordPress blog on my own domain.

Waitakere RangesI’ve been thinking about it for a while, knowing I really need to understand the process of managing my own WordPress install so that I can help others when they have questions, but I kept putting it off because Sue and James are just so fantastic and it sure was nice to be part of the Edublogs community.

Blogging here at Edublogs helped me find my voice, build my personal learning network, and truly understand the power of the connections we create here on the web. It’s hard to believe it’s almost been 4 years since I started and I just can’t thank Sue and James enough for all of the help and support they have given whenever it was needed (and sometimes without even having to ask – they’re that good!).

But, finally, the time has come. I feel a little bit like I’m growing up, going out on my own into the wilds of the web. I’m a little nervous, to be honest. So if you have any suggestions, please let me know!

And I hope, if it’s not too much to ask, that you will come on over to my new online home with me! I’ve already updated my Feedburner feed, so if you subscribe that way, you don’t need to do anything at all.

Actions

Information

71 responses to “New Year, New Blog”

5 01 2010
      Britt Watwood (09:16:04) :     

You are (once again) my hero! I have also been considering this jump / growth with my edublogs blog. Be nice to see some reflection by you on what you learned and what you might have done differently.

Also, any thoughts on why you chose to run your own domain as opposed to letting Edublogs host your domain?

Not teaching as much this spring, so this would be a good time to make the move. Be interested in your thoughts.

5 01 2010
      Kelly (11:13:18) :     

The new blog looks awesome Kim! I have been using WordPress for 3 years…just bought WordPress for dummies to really understand what I am doing :) Can’t wait to join you on the new journey.

5 01 2010
      Kim Cofino (15:14:29) :     

@Britt,

Thanks! Yes, I will definitely post something on the new blog (this will be my last post here) once I feel like I have a better understanding of what was successful (maybe next week or the week after). So far, things have gone relatively smoothly, but you never know!

I actually already owned http://kimcofino.com for 6 years or so (I used it as a static website to share pictures with family and friends before I knew about Flickr), so since it became basically useless and I was already paying for it, I figured I would just use that one. Plus, I guess I just wanted to see exactly how everything works if I did it entirely on my own.

You should definitely give it a shot – the transfer couldn’t be easier and there’s so much to learn. I’m having a blast already!

@Kelly,

Thank you! Would love your advice about using WordPress! I’m in the process of trying to do all the critical things (like installing a plug-in for automatic back-ups now). There’s just so much to learn!

9 01 2010
      jmarie (10:38:51) :     

Being new to Edublog (and blogging) can you explain what the benifit is to starting to use WordPress on your own domain? What was your purpose for Edublog?

10 01 2010
      aleafinjapan (20:13:28) :     

Hi Kim,

I just started a new blog on edublogs. I am curious about why you are leaving edublogs? Is it because you feel somehow restricted by design and layout options? Are you coding your own site? Or are you using another program to do so?

Akemashite omedetou!
    Happy New Year!

Elif

5 02 2010
      Kim Cofino (08:43:35) :     

@jmarie

Well, I think those new to blogging will find using a service like edublogs.org (or wordpress.com – no ads there) easier – someone else manages all the technical stuff and you can just concentrate on finding your voice and understanding blogging. I’ve been here for 3 and a half years already and I feel like I understand what blogging means for me, and I want to have more control over my own blog. I pay for my domain: http://kimcofino.com and will now manage my own installation of WordPress. I’ll be posting something about the process on my new blog soon.

@aleafinjapan,

Well, I think I explained most of it in the post – just wanted to learn how to manage my own site in order to better be able to help others. Plus, I’m not a fan of the ads on edublogs now (which weren’t there when I started blogging here). I’m using WordPress on my new blog. I’ll be sharing my thoughts on the process of moving over soon!

17 03 2010
      Liana Gooch (11:30:20) :     

Hi Kim
    Looking forward to following your blogs. Just getting into writing a few posts myself. Hoping to use blogging as part of my practice in the classroom so will check out any tips you offer to new bloggers.

6 05 2010
      Chris (00:55:28) :     

This is one of my first comments on a Blog. Actually it is an assignment for a class I am taking online so please be patient with me. I am a High School teacher in Maryland and found this Blog just by chance. I realize this is technology is growing fast but I am still intimidated perhaps in part to my poor keyboarding skills. I would some advice on how to get started and also where can I information Blog etiquette. Also are there general education Blogs I should know about?

Thanks CW

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention New Year, New Blog | always learning -- Topsy.com